The Benefits of Competition
As some of you may have noticed, competing is a significant part of many BJJ practitioner’s training. They train focused on competitions and work an specific areas of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for tournaments. However, the vast majority of people just train and don’t compete and understandably everybody trains for different reasons and goals. Having said that, if you are thinking about competing, here are some of the benefits.
- Handling stress. Only a robot can enter tournaments without not feeling anxious or stressed and overcoming these feelings is a big part of the experience. Eventually you will learn to handle this better and it becomes easier. This then translates into how you handle stress in training and every day life.
- Test your skills. You spend months or even years on the mats training and honing your skills but you only try them on your training partners at the academy. You get to know each other and adapt your techniques to the partners you roll with. The best way to test your skills is to try it at a tournament on somebody that doesn’t know your “game”.
- You Learn. Winning or losing at a competition is an opportunity learn where your strengths and weakness are. What you learn can give you goals for the next few months of your training, weather its take down defense, guard, guard pass, etc..
- Comradery. Going to a tournament and with your teammates and spending time together in stressful situations can be a great bonding experience. Coaching and supporting each other through the day, travelling together, and just hanging out are ways to make new friends.
- Faster Growth. When it comes to training the intensity and mental focus required for competition training is at a higher level than regular casual training. This focus and intensity will translate into you faster growing faster physically and mentally
For those of you that are interested in competing but are not sure about it can come and talk to Professor Costa or Coach Ram about it and we can help you make than decision. We at Yorkdale Martial Arts Academy also have the Avant Guard class which is specifically designed to prepare you for tournaments, with a focus on competition strategies, techniques and mindset.