BACK TO SCHOOL TIPS AND TRICK FOR PARENT
As we enter into mid August the CNE is around the corner and it’s almost time for kids to go back to school. With that comes all the anxiety and nervousness for children. They may start to show some signs of stress like trouble sleeping, stomachaches, etc. They may be worried about a new teacher, making friends, bullying and getting good grades. As parents, it’s important to remember that these feelings are very common and even the most well adapted children sometimes feel this way.
So here are some useful tips that will help your kids to cope with the emotional, physical and social stress associated with the back to school season and the trick is to plan ahead.
Create a Family Routine
- Establish a bedtime and wake time during the weekdays that is closer to the regular school schedule.
- Slowly start cutting back on stimulating activities an hour before bedtime (TV, electronics, sports)
- Have them start eating dinner on at a regular fixed time, not too close to bedtime
- Talk openly with your kids about their feelings about returning back to school.
- Don’t ignore your child’s anxiety or stress, always remember anything they say to you is important to them.
- Share your childhood experiences with them so they know that they are not alone.
- Ask them about their day to keep an open dialogue.
- Get your kids involved in creating and preparing their daily breakfast, lunch and snack menu.
- Educate them on the importance of eating healthy and the ills of eating junks.
- Give them meals that will make their heart and brain develop properly
- Provide different menu options for them to choose from.
If you would like to enroll your child in a martial art program, then check out our school Yorkdale Martial Art Academy where he/she will gain the necessary skills such as self confidence, discipline, focus, and self defense against bullying to enable them excel academically as they return back to school.